Composite children

I surround the creation of a particular widget with
widget_push_composite_child and widget_pop_composite_child.  Afterward, I
see that property composite-child is True for the new widget.  However,
when I run get_children on the parent, the widget appears in the list even
though documentation says that get_children "returns the container's
non-internal children".  Is this a bug, or is there something else I'm
supposed to do to prevent a child from showing up as a child?
--
Jeffrey Barish