Re: MS Windows packages and modularity

Sorry (just out of ignorance): who or what forced you to revert to
the libjpeg- and libtiff-based loaders?

The GDI+ ones don't work... They work for "small" files, but if the
file size (not the image size!) is larger than a limit that seems to
be around 60 KB, loading fails... See bug #552678. This is a mystery.
It can be reproduced even with a freestanding sample program, so it
isn't likely that it would be just a consequence of some heap
corruption or similar bug in GTK+

Why would anyone want to minimize the _number of files_ in a GTK
runtime package, as opposed to the size in bytes of the package?

There are  now and then people who whine about how many files are
needed now and then on IRC. But sure, they are misguided.

Another benefit of having the loaders built-in is that no
gdk-pixbuf.loaders file is needed, so there is less chance that people
edit it (even  if there usually is no need to) and make mistakes, or
misplace it.

But I admit I don't have any *really* strong preference. If it really
is so that the majority of people who distribute GTK+ apps on Windows
would prefer that the pixbuf loaders were separate DLLs I can return
to that. Is there anybody out there who prefers having built-in
loaders?

--tml