Re: MS Windows packages and modularity

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Allin Cottrell <cottrell wfu edu> wrote:
On Mon, 20 Oct 2008, Daniel Atallah wrote:

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Allin Cottrell <cottrell wfu edu> wrote:
But I see that the current GTK 2.14.4 package
( http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html ) has reverted to a
monolithic build, so that a gtk app won't start without having the
tiff and jpeg libraries installed, even if they're never used.

The reason for this change is that the 2.14.x series uses a new GDI+
based loader instead of the previous loaders.

OK, thanks for the info.

If you run dependency walker on libgdk_pixbuf-2.0-0.dll, you'll see
that it doesn't depend on the various external libraries.

Hmm, but I've tried it on Windows XP: when I use the GTK 2.14.4
package my GTK app won't start without jpeg62.dll.

Oh, weird.  You're right.  I guess I'm confused as to how the new
situation works.
I just ran the dependency walker and it is different than I thought it
was; someone more clueful than me will have to clarify.

-D