Gtk Window Screen Boundaries

Hi Gtk Application Development,

I am developing a program that is akin to a Dock, is there a way to
tell gtk or the xwindow system not to place windows within certain
rects (also maximize limits) so that windows do not spawn underneath
the windows? I have set the window type hint to Dock but to no avail.

If this information is readily available on the internet I have been
not been able to find it using search engines.

If someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated,
Thanks
Dan