Re: gtk_icon_theme_load_icon very slow

El miÃ, 01-10-2008 a las 16:05 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi escribiÃ:
On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 16:39 +0200, Adolfo GonzÃlez BlÃzquez wrote:

ElementaryUbuntu theme [2]:
- with this theme i can not create an icon cache (error on
gtk-update-icon-cache): 9.8 secs

if you don't report the error it's going to be very hard to know why
gtk-update-icon-cache is not working.

Well, the error is not very verbose. But anyway:

infinito laptop:~/.icons/ElementaryUbuntu$ gtk-update-icon-cache -f .
gtk-update-icon-cache: The generated cache was invalid

There's no way to avoid such a delay if the user has a bad icon theme
selected?

if the error is in the theme, then I'm very sorry but it's a buggy theme
and it should not be used.

Maybe GNOME/GTK+ should have a way to discover if a theme is not valid,
and not allow to use it. Some themes are really incomplete, and people
use them, and bugs are reported against applications, when the bug is
the theme itself. I think being more restrictive about which themes can
be used in GNOME would be a good idea.

if it's a bug in gtk-update-icon-cache then you have to report it on
GNOME's bugzilla ("gtk+" product) so that it'll be fixed in the next
release.

I'm not sure if it's a bug of gtk-update-icon-cache, because it doesn't
say too much about the error, but i think the problem is the theme.

in both cases, if the cache is not available then you'll have to load
the images from the disk, and that can be slow. it's something you'll
have to live with: the icon theme cache was created exactly to speed up

Yes, I realized... it's a same we allow bad themes!

Thanks!

-- adolfo