Re: Basic GNOME applet developement

On Mon, November 17, 2008 7:48 am, Michael Ott wrote:
Hello Andrew!

I am attempting my first Gnome applet creation and I found a great
tutorial at http://projects.gnome.org/ORBit2/appletstutorial.html .
Unfortunately, I am stuck where the example goes to load an image. I
can
compile the applet and make it run but when I add it to the Gnome bar
it
doesn't show anything. I have some printf's in the code and those
work
on
the console.
Do you have an .server file?

Do you try it with panel-test-applets?

With a server file and panel-test-applets it will work. Perhaps.
I do indeed have the .server file.
Can you send me the file?

<oaf_info>
<oaf_server iid="OAFIID:ExampleApplet_Factory" type="exe"
            location="/usr/lib/gnome-panel/myexample">

        <oaf_attribute name="repo_ids" type="stringv">
                <item value="IDL:Bonobo/GenericFactory:1.0"/>
                <item value="IDL:Bonobo/Unknown:1.0"/>
        </oaf_attribute>
        <oaf_attribute name="name" type="string" value="Example Applet
Factory"/>
        <oaf_attribute name="description" type="string" value="Factory to
create the example applet"/>
</oaf_server>

<oaf_server iid="OAFIID:ExampleApplet" type="factory"
            location="OAFIID:ExampleApplet_Factory">

        <oaf_attribute name="repo_ids" type="stringv">
                <item value="IDL:GNOME/Vertigo/PanelAppletShell:1.0"/>
<item value="IDL:Bonobo/Control:1.0"/>
                <item value="IDL:Bonobo/Unknown:1.0"/>
        </oaf_attribute>
        <oaf_attribute name="name" type="string" value="Test2 Applet"/>
<oaf_attribute name="description" type="string" value="This is a
test"/>
        <oaf_attribute name="panel:category" type="string"
value="Amusements"/>
        <oaf_attribute name="panel:icon" type="string"
value="invest-big.png"/>
</oaf_server>
</oaf_info>

From that same page I was able to make the first example work and do some
small modifications. But when I try to go on to the second step,
nothing happens. The applet runs from a command line and executes my
printf()'s but nothing shows up on the panel.
I believe, that you cannot see anything on the panel. I tested it always
with panel-test-applets.

I'm afraid I have no idea what panel-test-applets is..

Andrew