Calling system from clickon processor

Am new to GTK+ 2.4 (Although I did try GTK 2 years ago. Glad to see that features I did not like are now depreciated

Have written basic menu program to display buttons to select firefox, OO etc

Clickon code is:

void office(GtkWidget *widget,gpointer data){
   system("openoffice -writer &");
   }

When I run under a gnome login, programs load OK, but if I load several instances, when I exit one instance, all instances exit.

Could anyone explain what I am doing wrong. Cant find any pointers in GTK doc as to how to start a program from a GTK program.

Thanks in advance

Bill C