Re: Best practices for laying out controls

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 13:24 -0400, Dave Foster wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently developing an application which has a lot of input widgets to
it.  After consulting the HIG [1], specifically the portion about Window
Layout [2], it left me quite confused with exactly how I should implement
the guidelines it suggests.  I understand the importance of alignment and
good visual flow here, but I'm not sure which containers/widgets I should be
using in order to achieve a nice, aligned layout.

Originally, I was using a GtkTable but I am not convinced that it is the
proper container.  I was led to use this by the fact that I wanted labels
(in a column) to be all aligned based on the largest size of the labels, and
the controls on the right (in another column) to be aligned to the left
there, all making a neat line.  However, working with a GtkTable in glade-3
has been a bit problematic, and I'm seeking suggestions as to how other
people would lay out a dialog, using what containers, etc.

GtkSizeGroup might be of interest:

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/2.12/GtkSizeGroup.html

I'm afraid I'm not so current on GTK stuff that I can offer a more
detailed explanation.

Best regards,

--
Peter Clifton