Re: Basic Differences

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 03:24:03PM +0530, Aswathy Prasad wrote:
Hi

   Is there any basic difference between GTK+, Qt and Motif?

Yes a lot! (As expected).

Motif only runs att Unix:es (Look att openmotif). It has a small
widgetset and are quite akward to work with.

Qt has a "precompiler" and by that you are "locked in" by there
tools. It doesent handle several displays. Are nice to work with
and if you use their object-thinking also wery fast to do development
with. You don't have very good control over callbacks (signals).

Gtk are more "hardwired" - but I like it a lot. No precompiler. You have
control over "signals" (eg callbacks). There is bindings to a lot
of languages.

Is gtk+
advantageous over others? I just heard of these tools for developing GUIs.
Is there any other tools also used for this purpose? Can gtk+ be used in KDE
environment also? GNOME and KDE are 2 desktop environments of Linux
platform, right. Is there any particular difference between GNOME and KDE?
Can this be used in Windows? If no, then why is told that gtk+ can be used
in Windows also......

Both Gtk and Qt runs nicely on Windows. Also take a look at vx.

   Will it be better to use Glade to design the GUI's in Fedora, actually
our platform is OLPC? Or is there any other GUI builder which is better than
Glade? Could anyone suggest the better one? Can we compile an application
built using gtk+ in C using the sdcc compiler? Because we need to execute
and run as the user changes the settings in the interface. So in OLPC there
is only sdcc. We don't know whether we can install the gcc compiler or not.
So will it create any problem.

You should realy not use a GUI-builder. For small applications it is ok. For
a more advanced application it will end up in a mess. Qt:s GUI-bilder are
quite allright though.

 Waiting for the much needed answers.................

aswathy