differentiating selection-request-events

Simply clicking on the 'Edit' menu of a gnome-terminal causes a
selection-request-event, why? If you then select 'Paste' another
selection-request-event occurs. I really only want to know when a
'Paste' has been requested but I don't know how to differentiate
between the event generated by the Edit menu dropping down and the
selection of the 'Paste' item selection. Is it possible to know the
difference?