Re: How do I spawn an unknown viewer for a known file?

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:

What is the platform independent way to spawn a viewer for, say,
a PDF document?

I may be out of date, but I don't think this is something that is
handled by GTK as such.  If you're using gnome, you can call
gnome_url_show() using a file://... URL for a PDF file on the
local system.  There are also suitable calls in the win32 API and
the Mac OS API.

The way I handle this in my GTK app on Linux is to (a) guess at a
set of plausible PDF viewers, (b) check at runtime which of these
are available, and (c) give users a chance to specify a PDF viewer
in a Preferences dialog.

Allin Cottrell

--
Allin Cottrell