Re: Please help: How to embed a X window in a GTK window?

On 3/2/08, Ke Jin <jinkea gmail com> wrote:
Dear All,
I am working on a project whose code was written in Xlib and now I
need to develop a GUI for it. I want to use GTK so I wonder if I could
embed the former xlib window into a GTK top-level window. I wrote a
small test program as below but it doesn't work. Does anyone have any
idea about how this is gonna work?

#include <string.h>
#include <X11/Xlib.h>
#include <X11/keysym.h>
#include <gtk/gtk.h>
#include <gdk/gdkx.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/types.h>

void destroy (GtkWidget *widget, gpointer *data)
{
gtk_main_quit ();
}

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
Display* display = XOpenDisplay(NULL);
int screen = DefaultScreen(display);
int width = DisplayWidth(display, screen)/6;
int height = DisplayHeight(display, screen)/6;
GtkWidget *gtkWin;
XEvent e;
pid_t pid;
Bool child = FALSE;
int timer = 0;

gtk_init (&argc, &argv);

gtkWin = gtk_window_new(GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);

gtk_signal_connect(GTK_OBJECT(gtkWin),
"destroy",GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC(destroy),NULL);

gtk_widget_realize(gtkWin);

Window win = XCreateSimpleWindow(display, RootWindow(display,
screen),
0, 0, width, height, 3, BlackPixel(display, screen),
WhitePixel(display, screen));
XStoreName(display, win, "hello");
GC gc = XCreateGC(display, win, 0, NULL);

I don't think this way can work. To embed a X window in Gtk window, I
think you must handle the redraw event of the X window and manually
copy the drawables to the Gtk+ window.

Bin