sizing of toolbar

My app has a small "custom" toolbar.  Previously I constructed
this using gtk_toolbar_append_item to add buttons, but since that
function is is deprecated I'm now trying to use
gtk_toolbar_insert to stuff the bar with GtkToolButtons.

I've hit one problem.  The toolbar is small and I don't want its
raised window to extend the full width of the main window, so I'm
doing this sort of thing when packing the toolbar into an
enclosing vbox:

hbox = gtk_hbox_new(FALSE, 0);
/* don't expand the toolbar */
gtk_box_pack_start(GTK_BOX(hbox), toolbar, FALSE, FALSE, 0);
gtk_box_pack_start(GTK_BOX(vbox), hbox, FALSE, FALSE, 0);

This worked fine when I was using gtk_toolbar_append_item, but
with the new method the above code produces a drop-down toolbar!
It seems the new-style toolbar doesn't have any "natural width" at
the point when it's packed into the hbox, so it's compacted to a
drop-down.

I've verified that the code is basically OK by substituting

gtk_box_pack_start(GTK_BOX(hbox), toolbar, TRUE, TRUE, 0);

for the second code-line above.  Then the toolbar displays
correctly, but it occupies the full width of the hbox, which I
don't want.  (When it's working correcly, it occupies about 1/3 of
the width, with the enclosing window at its default size).

Any suggestions gratefully received.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics