Re: g_signal_connect

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 19:40:22 +0100 Carlos Pereira wrote:

For the sake of elegance, which version people like more?

1) g_signal_connect (widget, "signal",
G_CALLBACK (callback), data);

I think this was the "intended" use -- the first param is of type
gpointer so you don't have to use a cast macro like in #2.

Most code (but not all) in gtk-demo uses this version...
2) g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT (widget), "signal",
G_CALLBACK (callback), data);

... but out of (probably stupid) habit, I tend to use this one most of
the time...

but most of the code in the examples directory, come with the G_OBJECT cast...
3) g_signal_connect (GTK_OBJECT (widget), "signal",
G_CALLBACK (callback), data);

Definitely not this one...  *waves arms* GtkObject doesn't exist! *waves
arms*
Excellent, one less to choose from... I am coming from GTK 1, that's why... ;-)

It's interesting anyway, that compiling with
       -DG_DISABLE_DEPRECATED          \
       -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED        \
       -DGDK_PIXBUF_DISABLE_DEPRECATED \
       -DGTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED
activated, no warning is reported, and the signal works just fine,
that's why I didn't notice that this was a no no....

Anyway, GtkObject still exists (I supose mostly because of GtkAdjustment
and other old structures?): <http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stable/GtkAdjustment.html>
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stable/GtkObject.html

pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0:
Gtk 2.12.8