Re: Correct way to package win32 gtk programs

Tor Lillqvist wrote:
I have created some gtk exe's for win32 using gtk+ and mingw.What is the correct way to package the exe with
the required DLL's?

That is to some degree a question of taste and personal opinion...

Should I just send out exe file with dll's from bin? Or are end users meant to install gtk and add its bin to
their system path?

I would say that the current best practise is to produce a single
executable installer (either a single .exe or a single .msi) that
installs you application and the GTK+ stack (those parts that your
application needs) in the same, freely selectable, location. Many
people say, and I agree, that it is futile to try to use a shared
installation of GTK+ on Windows for applications from different 3rd
parties.

For instance, do it like this:

[excellent reply by Tor removed]

For a concrete example of what Tor is suggesting see the win32 subdirectory in the pcb (pcb.sf.net) source
tree.  Also look at configure.ac for pcb.  It's not really polished, but
the "build_win32" script in there will build a non-cygwin version of pcb
and create a windows installer using NSIS.  The script is a wrapper
around the autoconf build system and makes several assumptions about
where some of the gtk for windows runtime stuff exists.

There is also an 'extract_gtk_win32' script in there.

The biggest difference between whats in pcb is that I didn't try to minimize which parts of gtk for win32 get installed. I just stuck in all the dll's.

Hope this helps.

-Dan