Setting widget styles

I want to change the cursor/caret aspect ratio for a widget on the fly.
The docs say you should "first call gtk_widget_get_modifier_style(),
make your modifications to the returned style, then call
gtk_widget_modify_style() with that style." The trouble is I can't find
any way to modify a style. I must be missing something, otherwise
there's no point in having GtkRcStyle in the API at all.

As the docs refer to "style properties" I've tried calling
g_object_set_property(..., "cursor-aspect-ratio", ...) on the GtkRcStyle
but I got an error that the property name doesn't exist or something
like that.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk