Re: Forking from Gtk

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 23:23 +0200, G Hasse wrote:
On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 01:52:00PM -0400, James Scott Jr wrote:
G,

I've seen most of the other responses, and better understand what you
are trying to do.  And like others -- fork() is not recommended.

I can't belive this... Certanly a forground process must be able to
start a process that completly detatch from the parent. Gtk or not
it could not matter. If I fork a Gtk program I migt have a lot of
GtkWidget pointers that are of no use - but if I bother I should be
able to free those. The gtk_main loop runs around to find out if
signals have been emitted. So if I exit this loop no sutch activity
should be going on.

I have been doing this on FreeBSD for a long time and I have no
problem there.

The only problem I realy have on Linux is that the forked process
is marked as <defunct> and probably take a process slot until the
parent exits. In FreeBSD I don't notice this behaviour.

The cenario you tell below is not quite applicable since my program
don't know in advance what should be run. I only need the Gtk program
to set a lot of parameters and then fire of the process. I klient
server, socket or pipe solution would just make the solution
more complicated. And I don't need to minitor the processes during
calculation.

I had similar problem and resolved it in this codeset.
http://gfhcm.sourceforge.net  -- a monitor for the folding home project

First, like you I needed to start several executables in the background,
resolve their identify via pid number, and monitor their cpu utilization
and associated artifacts to gage their progress.

I approached it two ways: with standalone gfhcm, and then in
client/server way using gfhcmc & gfhcmd; gfhcmc is the gtk gui and
gfhcmd is a glib helper daemon.

For your issue: I suggest g_[a]sync_command_line() as a way to launch a
background process from a gtk app.  Then using either ipc Queues, pipes,
or sockets to connect to process to echange commands and information.
Having a formal daemon will help the issue of starting/stopping the
background thread. and Finally a dedicated gui that expects to use an
IPC to communication with the process.

Anyway that you would like to proceed - I think we all can offer
solutions.  But be clear, I and maybe we think, forking is a bad ideal
for GTK program period.

Sorry. I don't se this. What i see is forking from a foreground process
and letting the foreground process still live on is a bad idea on
*LINUX*. Or...

GÃran

Ok, the glib/gtk apis can be used to meet the processing conditions you
describe.  I note that you aware of the increased complexity caused by a
design different from what your accustomed to on BSD. I think those of
us who have done a bit of gtk programming in varied situations, see a
solution that does require more effort and design.

John <jcupitt> stated that he got your code to work on Ubuntu with a few
minor additions. And I presume, using some type of gui toolkit on BSD
you been doing this for a while.  So with John's comment and your
experience, I think you can take it from here and use fork().

However, if you want to redesign to take full advantage of the resources
and capability of GTK/GLIB and LINUX for the benefit of your users
experience; I got some time and would be willing to help you build a
framework -- just send me code or specs to look at.

The design changes to redo your code are not complicated or burdensome;
just different.  I think the outcome of the rework will be a better
piece of software with greater opportunity to please your users - even
if the user is only you.

James,

My website may have something of interest:
http://mysite.verizon.net/skoona/id2.html

James,