Re: Does libX11 use shared memory between several clients?

On Jan 29, 2008 5:35 AM, Bin Chen <binary chen gmail com> wrote:
[...]

I can't see any code to transfer modified "display" structure to the
server, this API is invoked by a XIM server so obviously the register
stuff need to be accessed by other process, is there any shared memory
trick in libX11?

Yes, but this is not one of those tricks I would think.

When connecting to the X server, XOpenDisplay establishes
a connection and returns a locally allocated Display structure
to be used for all your api calls. All commands to the X server
are sent and queued so to speak on the display.

I dont know much about the guts of XIM but it looks like
_XRegisterFilterByType doesnt need to tell the server anything...
only needs to tell Xlib locally how to handle input when it comes
from the X server.

Cheers,
                         -Tristan