Re: Can GTK+ make use of XSHM extension from MIT

On Jan 11, 2008 9:54 PM, Tristan Van Berkom <tvb gnome org> wrote:
On Jan 10, 2008 11:38 PM, Bin Chen <binary chen gmail com> wrote:

[...]
Ok, let me make the things clear, the content in a gdk window includes
many widgets, such as label, entry, button. But from the perspective of
X server, this widgets are just bitmaps with the states updated by GTK+,
right?

A kind of mix of the above, generally many widgets draw to the same
GdkWindow yes, for the X server this is only one Window.

Xshm will accelerate the client to server transfer for type of Image and
Pixmap, but the GTK+ use XCopyArea to update the bitmap, can XCopyArea
can benefit from the Xshm?

Yes XCopyArea will do a different proceedure depending if you are using
an XSHM Image or not.

In more detail, I am using gdk_draw_image to draw an image to a gdk
drawable, will this benefit the Xshm?

Assuming the Images were created as shared memory segments then
yes they will be transfered as shared memory, this can be faster than
using unix sockets for _large_ images (for smaller images its probably
the same considering there has to be task switching/locking involved
anyway when updating a window from an image).

Thanks for your reply, but I wonder how the Xlib or GDK knows the
image is drawing in a shared memory segment? In detail can you show me
some pseudo code to how to do it?

Thanks a lot.

Bin