GTK+ and Xmodmap

Hi all,

I have had a problem for a few months with gtk+ apps :
I have a US keyboard and need to write french characters so I started using a .Xmodmap :

keycode 15 = 6 asciicircum dead_circumflex dead_circumflex dead_circumflex dead_circumflex dead_circumflex dead_circumflex
keycode 113 = Multi_key

all of this works to type accents in emacs, in QT apps and used to work with gtk but it does not anymore. However I could not track whether it is a X version change of a GTK version change which broke it.

Does someone know how to make gtk understand/use my .Xmodmap settings ?

Denis

PS : I am using gtk 2.12.3 from debian sid currently.