how to process only some GTK events and leave the others in the queue

Hi,
is it possible to process only some specific events from the GTK/GDK event queue and leave the others in the queue so they can be processed later by the main loop?

I'll try to explain it better: I have a GTK-based app which runs the gtk_main() in its void main(). However at a certain point (e.g. upon user click on a GtkButton), I need to perform a long computation. I don't want to use a secondary thread; rather I'd like to do everything from the main thread. To avoid blocking the GUI of my app during the computation, I call from time to time:

while (gtk_events_pending() != 0)
    gtk_main_iteration();

to process the pending events in the queue. However now I'd like to process only _some_ of the events of the queue, and leave the others in the queue itself.

Is it possible?

Thanks!!
Francesco