Question about TreeView particularly GtkCellRendererCombo

In my application I am trying to build a dialog box to display and allow
the user to create/delete/edit a list of some structures.

According to the "type" field in the structures, some variants of the
structures use a string as a parameter, others use an integer. (There is
a "null" option which doesn't take anything).

Ideally I'd like to have a TreeView with 2 columns (there are some other
ones too relating to other fields in the structure but we'll ignore them
for the purposes of the question), with a GtkCellRenderCombo for the
"type" and the second column either an editable text field or a spin box
depending on what was selected in the ComboBox. Obviously it would be
different for each row depending on what "type" was selected for the
structure represented by that row.

If that can't be done simply - and it probably isn't worth having huge
lumps of code to do just one bit of one dialog the way I want it in one
part of one application - is it possible to selectively make a given
cell non-sensitive or invisible according to the selected value of the
combo box without affecting different rows in the same column? And how
do I reach the "changed" signal for the ComboBox?

Another more trivial question relates to the initial size of the
TreeView (I am using a scroll as well) which is fine if I have existing
structures to display when I start, but if the list is empty to start
with I get a pathetic weedy little window I can only see half a line in.
Is there a nice clean way I can set a minimum size - preferably not
mentioning pixels for the benefit of people using big default fonts?

John Collins Xi Software Ltd www.xisl.com