KeyPress Event on a foreign window?

Hi,

I am curious: if I set the userdata of a foreign gdk window to my
widget, can I receive the KeyPress event on the event_press_event of the
widget?

I did an experiment, and the result is that key_press_event is not
emitted.

Yet I also did another experiment by enabling the PropertyNotifyMask
with set_event. and the result was property_notify_event was emitted.

I am confused. Can any one help me figure out why they are different?

Regards,

Yu