"natural size" for widgets packed in a GtkScrolledWindow

Hi all,

This may be related to the natural-size stuff I saw floating on gtk-devel-list a couple months ago, so maybe my answer is just "wait for the next major gtk release," but here goes...

Consider a dialog just with a scrolled window in it, and, inside the scrolled window, some widget that can hold arbitrary amounts of information, like a tree view, icon view, etc.

If I put a bunch of rows in the tree view (for example), and then show the dialog, I get this tiny dialog that shows only a single row in the tree view. But I'd really rather it show, say 10 rows at a time.

Same issue with a GtkIconView, only it's worse -- if I set it up for "sideways" icons (icon on the left, text on the right), and pack a bunch of icons in there, the dialog shows itself with exactly one icon showing, and I need to scroll to see the rest. Say I'd like to start off showing 3 columns and 4 rows, or whatever.

Is there any way to do this without writing a bunch of nasty hacky code? It seems like these widgets are much less useful without some sort of intelligent autosizing.

        -brian