Writing an own Widgets

Hi List,

I have a (simple) question

I want to create my own widget, in order to use this gtk widget in my pygtk application
https://launchpad.net/plomari. The widget itself should
be implemented in C and accessible through glade.

Here http://www.flickr.com/photos/pyce/2775303467/sizes/o/  you can find a mockup of this widget and a
possible gtk structure (tree) for this widget.

So the question is, what would be the right/best way to implent this in Gtk. Do I have to extend the
GtkDrawingArea or HBox Widget in order to realize this?
The widget should provide DnD functionality to other widgets and some kind of interaction. For example if you
double-clicks on a photo, this photo should be displayed in fullscreen
mode in the bottom scrolledWindowPictures widget.

I appreciate any comments and suggestions

Thanks in advance

Babi