How to set the window size to max height, but not the max width?

Hello Gtk+ Mailling Lists:

I'm a beginner of GTK+ Development. I want my application run like this:

when it opens, the window's width is set to 1024, and its height will be set
to the current available max height size. It's not the size of resolution of
current screen. Just the maximize window's height, the size not include the
two gnome-panel below and above, sometimes is a dock(awn or kiba-dock).

I tried several method, but failed.

Anyone can give me an idea?
Thank you very much.

--