Newbie Question: Changing a Label

Hi Everyone.

I'm trying to write a simple program that changes a label when a button is
clicked.  The program compiles and runs, but there's no label change.
Here's what I have in my callbacks.c:

#ifdef HAVE_CONFIG_H
#  include <config.h>
#endif

#include <gtk/gtk.h>

#include "callbacks.h"
#include "interface.h"
#include "support.h"

void
on_window1_destroy                     (GtkObject       *object,
                                        gpointer         user_data)
{
gtk_exit(0);
}

void
on_button2_clicked                     (GtkButton       *button,
                                        gpointer         user_data)
{
gtk_exit(0);
}

void
on_button1_clicked                     (GtkButton       *button,
                                        gpointer         user_data)
{
GtkWidget* window1;
GtkWidget* window2;
GtkWidget* label1;
gtk_label_set_text((label1),"Hi!");
}

Like I said, this runs w/o any compile errors, but when I run it in the
terminal, I see the following:

Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_label_set_text: assertion `GTK_IS_LABEL (label)' failed

So something went wrong.  Can anyone help me out here?

Regards,

Brian

--
bhartman36 gmail com