Re: Don't understand valgrind output

On Sun, 2007-10-21 at 13:58 +1000, Michael Lamothe wrote:
Thanks for the excellent responses.  I think that you're right, I've
been doing a bit of reading about how valgrind works and it appears
that it's especially poor when it comes to multi-threaded
applications.

The CPU time goes to zero when the application freezes.  This
indicates that it's maybe some kind of locking issue.  The UI locks up
when I resize the main window.  My application uses
gdk_threads_enter()/leave() around the gtk_main() call.  I'm also
using libxine to write directly onto a GtkDrawingArea.

I know this is a long shot but has anyone got any experience with this
kind of UI freezing issue or does anyone have any suggestions/ideas
about what I can do?

I have a problem with gxine locking up when resizing its window with
xorg-1.3.  This may or may not be related to your problem (that is, it
may show there is an issue in libxine and/or xorg).  It may be
interesting if you were to start up gxine and see how that works.

Equally, it could be a problem with your use of threads.  There are a
number of subtleties in using gdk_threads_enter()/leave() and it is very
easy to slip up (in addition, it doesn't work under Windows).  Nowadays
I always use message-passing into the main GUI thread instead, either
using g_idle_add() or other mechanisms.

Chris