Re: GtkFileChooserDialog too slow

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 19:27 -0400, Andrew Smith wrote:
Hi

Try to navigate to /usr/bin using a no-frills GtkFileChooserDialog. My
computer is a bit old, but it's far from being obsolete and it sometimes
takes minutes (!!) to display that directory.

because it needs to sniff every file for its MIME type, as files
in /usr/bin have no extension to use the dumb
"use-the-extension-as-hint-of-MIME-type" algorithm to display an icon.

hence the slowness.

Will you please fix it? I need to navigate to /usr/bin once in a while
to select what app to open files with from Firefox

solutions:

  * ask firefox developers to write something using gnome-vfs to get the
    applications that can open a given MIME type;
  * ask firefox developers to write something that doesn't require the
    user to manually select the binary of an application;
  * use epiphany, which is a sane and integrated web browser and
    it doesn't expose this kind of crappy UI.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi,