rc file only works outside gnome

My GTK+ application uses colors in its user interface for various
purposes, and calls gtk_rc_parse_string() at startup to set some
defaults.

This works fine on my Mac and under KDE, but if I run it in a Gnome
session (under Debian etch), none of the colors appear.  I infer that
they have been overridden by Gnome's theme even though it doesn't know
anything about my application.

How do I get around this, preferrably still leaving my users the
ability to reconfigure the application's choice of color?

(The part of the source code that uses GTK+ can be found in:
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/bzr/disorder/mainline/disobedience/

ttfn/rjk