Get focus (for application) on a key combo (globally)

Hi,
I am writing a dict. application, where the application sits as
an icon in the system tray, when ever the user presses a predefined
keycombo, say Ctrl + Alt + L, this application need to come to the
foreground, or atleast registering in X11 for a signal or callback
would do.
Simply put, even when the application is not in focus, it should be able to get invoked on a key combo.

I have tried using bind keys, key snooper and some other stuff for Xlib, also tried googling, but I could not
find the soln.
Please help!

Thanks for your time :-)

Best Regards,