How to add stuff to treeviews??

---- Original Message ----
From: darkeen westnet com au
To: mekstran scl ameslab gov
Subject: Re: [Glade-users] How to add stuff to treeviews??
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 22:09:36 +0800

Michael Ekstrand wrote:
On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 11:47 +0300, Felipe Balbi wrote:

After getting my treeview using glade_xml_get_widget() and
inserting a
column with gtk_tree_view_insert_column()... how can I add data to
the
treeview???

You don't add data to a tree view itself, you add it to the
TreeModel
which is backing the treeview.  So you need to create a
GtkTreeModel of
some kind (usually either GtkListStore or GtkTreeStore), populate
it,
and assign it to the tree view (with gtk_tree_view_set_model()).

See the following links for more details:
      * http://scentric.net/tutorial/
      * http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/TreeWidget.html

- Michael

Hello,

I too am trying to use a Treeview model view, etc.
I have created a list store before and that works fine.
Now I am creating a new program and want to create a Treeview with a
parent iter and 6 set child iter (ie you create a "new row" and the
row
auto creates the 6 children underneath)
But I am having trouble doing ANYTHING with the treeview.

Cut/paste the example from the gtk 2.0 API simply fails to do
anything.
I am left with a blank screen. inserting g_print shows that the code
is
being called, but nothing is being displayed.

Since the gtk_tree_view is created in glade, I am simply doing a
lookup_widget on the treeview and adding columns to it (ie none
exist)
and then populating the data.

My code, very stripped down (to remove possible errors) is:

void
on_harpmanager_show                    (GtkWidget       *widget,
                                        gpointer         user_data)
{
 GtkTreeStore *tree_store;
 GtkTreeIter parent_iter, child_iter;
 GtkWidget *view;
 GtkCellRenderer *renderer;
 GtkTreeSelection  *selection;
 GtkTreeViewColumn *col;

 // CREATE THE TREE_VIEW and hook the row selection event into it!
   view = lookup_widget(widget, "treeview_base");
   selection = gtk_tree_view_get_selection(GTK_TREE_VIEW(view));
   gtk_tree_selection_set_select_function(selection,
func_base_select,
NULL, NULL);
   // CREATE COLUMN HEADERS
  if (gtk_tree_view_get_column(GTK_TREE_VIEW(view), 0) == NULL)
  {
      // -- Column 1 --
      col = gtk_tree_view_column_new();
      gtk_tree_view_column_set_title(col, "CHARACTER NAME");
      gtk_tree_view_append_column(GTK_TREE_VIEW(view), col);
      renderer = gtk_cell_renderer_text_new();
      gtk_tree_view_column_pack_start(col, renderer, TRUE);
      gtk_tree_view_column_add_attribute(col, renderer, "text", 0);

With this I should get a simple treeview with column headings, but I
get
nothing.

Adding the following also produces a blank screen.

  tree_store = gtk_tree_store_new (1, G_TYPE_STRING);
  gtk_tree_store_append (tree_store, &parent_iter, NULL);
  gtk_tree_store_set (tree_store, &parent_iter, 0, "Darkeen", -1);
  gtk_tree_store_append (tree_store, &parent_iter, &child_iter);
  gtk_tree_store_set (tree_store, &child_iter, 0, "Profession", -1);
  gtk_tree_store_append (tree_store, &parent_iter, &child_iter);
  gtk_tree_store_set (tree_store, &child_iter, 0, "Race", -1);
  gtk_tree_store_append (tree_store, &parent_iter, &child_iter);
  gtk_tree_store_set (tree_store, &child_iter, 0, "Talents", -1);
  gtk_tree_store_append (tree_store, &parent_iter, &child_iter);
  gtk_tree_store_set (tree_store, &child_iter, 0, "Skills", -1);
  gtk_tree_store_append (tree_store, &parent_iter, &child_iter);
  gtk_tree_store_set (tree_store, &child_iter, 0, "Equipment", -1);
  gtk_tree_view_set_model (GTK_TREE_VIEW(view),
GTK_TREE_MODEL(tree_store));
  g_object_unref (tree_store);
  gtk_widget_show_all(widget);

HELP!