GtkComboBox and GtkCellRendererSpin

Hello, I am currently trying to make a GtkComboBox where some of the choices in the list have integers associated with them, showing them in a column using a GtkCellRendererSpin. Obviously, I want this integer to be editable. However (i'm using gtkmm btw), when i associate the renderer with the column, which is actually a GtkAdjustment (associating it with the property_adjustment in the renderer), nothing is drawn. My first thought is that maybe editing cells in a combobox is unsupported by design? Do I actually need to use a treeview for something like this?

Any hints are greatly appreciated :)

best regards,
Audun Halland