Re: my summary on how to use gtk with threads

On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 12:15 +0200, Felix Kater wrote:
here is my short summery of how to use gtk with threads

Ironically, your email rolled in Monday right after I had managed to
come up with most of the same information independently. I just blogged
about my own findings which are fairly close to your own observations!
http://research.operationaldynamics.com/blogs/andrew/#gtk-thread-awareness

I didn't quite agree with this conclusion:

do not use gdk_threads_set_lock_functions() to facilitate (a)

as that was rather critical to things working [so far] for us; hang
tight until I get a chance to write up part 2, but I am going to take
the time this week to carefully consider the traps you cite and try and
see how they affect the pattern we developed.

I'm quite certain that this sort of thing will expose bugs in GTK for
the simple reason that this style of doing multi-threaded apps is not
prevalent -- but such bugs will do well to be smoked out and fixed
regardless.

Regards,

AfC
Sydney

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie

We are an operations engineering consultancy focusing on strategy,
organizational architecture, systems review, and change management
procedures: enabling successful use of open source in mission
critical enterprises, worldwide.

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/

Sydney   New York   Toronto   London