Re: How to create a self contained GTK+ Application for Linux

Hey Jeremy,

On Wed, 23 May 2007 06:54:14 +0300 Tor Lillqvist wrote:

Jeremy Roberson writes:
 > So, I copied all of the shared libraries into a sub directory of
 > the application directory called "lib/" for testing.

But GTK+ and Pango also look for various other files at run-time. It's
not just the shared libraries that are needed.

Another option would be to build and install (from scratch) the entire
glib/gtk stack -- and any dependencies beneath them you think might not
be available or new enough on any target systems -- and set the prefix
at configure time to something like /opt/<yourappname> (don't forget
PKG_CONFIG_PATH as well!). Then also install your app to that prefix,
and set LD_LIBRARY_PATH appropriately before running it.

You'll have to require that the package is installed to that same
location (/opt/<yourappname>) on every target machine, but that might
be acceptable in your situation.

        -brian