Re: How to create a self contained GTK+ Application for Linux

Tristan Van Berkom <tvb <at> gnome.org> writes:

On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 20:29 +0000, Jeremy Roberson wrote:
[...]
And I get a segmentation fault.  I then tried ldd and gdb
and I get an instant
segmentation fault.  If I unset the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
variable and then try ldd
and gdb, they work but the application fails because
it's linking against older
libraries.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure off hand whats going wrong in your app,
you might try a true jailed environment using a chroot, etc -
or at least run a short study on existing jail environments
and what details they attend to to make sure apps/compilation
works properly.
(sounds to me like you are not even reaching main() from your gcc
start stubs, maybe you have something set to preload on the target
system ? I dont know...)

Cheers,
                   -Tristan

I think I figured out what is going on.  When I launch my application on the
older systems, the system program loader is being invoked which, isn't ABI
compatible with the provided libraries.  So, I launched my application from the
command line using the program loader that I provide as follows.

->../lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path ../lib ./interwrite-learning-systray

And everything works.  So, it's easy enough to right a launch script that
performs the above operation but, is this a good approach?

The other approach as suggested would be to build on a very old system.