Re: Gtk+ and multithreating

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 21:32 +0100, Chris Vine wrote:
On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 16:44 +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
Am 2007-05-14 22:22:34, schrieb Chris Vine:
Pass the callbacks representing the events concerned to the main program
loop using g_idle_add().  Make sure the callbacks return FALSE.
g_idle_add() is thread safe, provided that you have initialised glib
with g_thread_init().

Chris
------------------------- END OF REPLIED MESSAGE -------------------------

Forgive me if I do not understand this...
Do you have a short exanple?

For the phtreads I have only copied an example-sniplet
and modified a bit and it was just working...  :-)

The documentation is here:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-The-Main-Event-Loop.html#g-idle-add

The idea is that you call g_idle_add() in your worker thread with a
callback (function pointer and data) which you want to execute in the
main program (GUI) loop.
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-Threads.html
A simple example would be to call:

g_idle_add((GSourceFunc)g_print, "Hello\n");

Actually it occurs to me that this may not work without a wrapper
function which returns FALSE.  I am not sure what the effect of casting
a function with a void return type to a GSourceFunc type (which returns
a gboolean/int type) is.  Anyway, just put it in a wrapper function to
try out the example.

Chris