How to create more space leading to and trailing PangoLayout text output with background color?

Hi,

In a widget subclass, I'm using a PangoLayout object to render a markup string. Because white spaces in the markup is discarded, I am looking for a way to control the space rendered leading to the text and the spaces trailing to it. The spaces have different background color than the surrounding.

What is the best way to create spaces in the Pango rendering of markup?

Thanks!

--
Daniel Yek