Re: new to gtk, how can I limit widgets?

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 17:12 -0700, ian baber wrote:
I'm working on a project using the GTK2 perl package, and I need a
way to set absolute limits on a container widget.  The program needs
to be able to divide up the screen using several containers, and then
hand each of those off to a plugin.  The problem is that I want the
containers to ALWAYS remain the same size, regardless of how much or
how little the plugin puts in it.  If the children widgets won't fit,
they should be truncated/cut off at the edge.

Basically, you can constrain a widget size, yes.  Check the GtkWidget
methods.  I am not sure, but it might be a call with "usize" in the
name.  I know in Glade I can simply set it in the XML.  What I'd do if I
were you would be to use a scrolled window that's the absolute, fixed
size.  That way if the plugin's widgets were too big, at least it would
scroll around a bit.

Michael

Is there a way to do this in GTK?