Getting a GDK_CONFIGURE event from a GtkImage

Is there some way I can obtain a GDK_CONFIGURE event from a GtkImage
widget? I tried putting the GtkImage inside a GtkEventBox and
connecting a handler to "configure-event", without success. I also
manually enabled GDK_STRUCTURE_MASK, even though GTK is supposed to do
that by default. I would like to know when the image size has changed,
so that I can assign a new GdkPixbuf to the GtkImage and draw to the
GdkPixbuf.

TIA

-Jim