Deriving from GtkWindow and libglade

I want to derive a new class from GtkWindow to represent a top-level
window which contains objects from a Glade XML file. Since the
glade_xml_get_widget functions returns a new object, I'm not sure what
to do in the object's "init_instance" function to copy the properties
(and children) of the returned top-level window to the object itself.

I thought of using child = glade_xml_get_widget to get the child of
the top-level window, then use gtk_container_add(self, child).
However, the new top-level window won't have the properties set within
the glade file.

Any insights are appreciated.