Win32 custom (pixbuf) cursors reverting to standard pointer on left/right click

We have an application using GTK (2.10.12 DLLs) and have encountered a problem with custom cursors.

On the Linux and OSX/X11.app builds of the game, the pixbuf cursors correctly remain on the screen when the mouse is right or left-clicked.

On Win32, the pixbufs revert to the standard Windows pointer for the duration of the click, returning to our custom pixbuf only when the mouse button is released. Our developer is unclear as to the source of the problem since the X11 behavior is correct.

Is this a common mistake with a straightforward workaround? It does not seem to be a limitation of GTK on Win32 as GIMP on Win32 maintains its custom draw tool cursors during left-click-and-drag, etc.