Re: Not show selection of a tree view column

On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 09:35 -0400, Dave Foster wrote:
Hi folks,

Was wondering if it was possible to have a column omitted from the selection
bar in a gtk treeview.  I've made a custom renderer which displays a strip
of an image, so you can split that image over a number of rows.  It looks
terrible with selection rectangles behind it, even worse with the dotted
highlight rectangle that occurs when using the keyboard to focus a row.  I'd
like to be able to tell gtk to not select that row at all.  Any ideas?

Another possible idea would be that I have my custom renderer wrong, drawing
on the wrong thing or wrong layer, not too sure about that.  Maybe it is
possible to use the custom renderer to draw the selection rectangle too?

More description and (pretty?) screenshots can be found on my blag:
http://d.minuslab.net/?p=43

I love the screen-shots, but I fear doing this properly is something
which GtkTreeView can't do.

In an application I'm working on, I would really love to use a row which
spans columns for the purpose of rendering a:
"Click here to add new field" row.

I unfortunately ended up having to put a (much shorter) text in the
first column.

I get the feeling that too much of GtkTreeView's implementation is
private to be able to subclass it and provide this additional
functionality, not to mention that its rendering model is very specific
to columns.

I think a brand new widget might be needed - one which has a more
"table" like rendering model. It might be possible to start from
GtkTreeView's code - but its a scary "C" file, and I quickly realised I
didn't have the time / knowledge to write the new widget myself.

Regards,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,