Performance of GMainLoop

Hello!

I'm working on network application (both server and client). I decided to
implement asynchronous socket in my code. I want do this using GMainLoop to
avoid writing multi thread application. I will add new GSource to main
GMainContext, which will handle each socket or add one GSource, which will
handle many sockets. Of course all sockets will be non-blocking. I'd like to
now how many sockets GMainLoop can handle to avoid problems with
performance. Were there any test made for that?

Second thing is GMainLoop's code. I'd like to know how it works. I read
code, but it isn't to understand it for me. Are there any articles about it
or so interesting threads in mailing list's archive? If i will find
something interesting in archive, please tel me where and around which date
should I search for it.

--
Cya!
Tom