Limit the width of a GtkTable and its columns

Hi folks, and a happy 2007 :)

I have a GtkTable with a GtkLabel in the first column of every row, and a different widget in the other column. I would like to give equal width to both columns (50% for each), and allow the table to grow only vertically. In fact, I would like to put it inside a GtkScrolledWindow, set to display only the vertical scrollbar, and have the GtkTable and its widgets expanding vertically only.

But so far I had not get this working. The GtkLabel at the left column grows in width as much as the text in it -- I tried to turn on the text-wrapping properties, but it never worked. And the GtkTable keeps growing in width as well.

Do you know how could I set the GtkTable to not grow larger in width than the GtkScrolledWindow? And how could I force the widgets to expand vertically only within this space?

Thank you very much!

Fabricio Rocha
Brasilia, Brasil
The RADiola Project - http://radiola.sourceforge.net