Tracing (application-supplied) icons used by nautilus

Hi,

I'm trying to find an easier way for me to tell how nautilus is using icon resources. For example, I would like to tell the path to the icon currently used by nautilus in representing an application or data files of mime-types handled by the application. Also, it would be really helpful if I can see how icon path is resolved in the API call.

That would make trouble-shooting why theme icons installed at standard location didn't work as expected, less time-consuming.

Thanks for any advice.

(Maybe hooking strace to the running nautilus would yield something...I'll try...)

--
Daniel Yek