Re: GTK+ 2.10.7 released

--- Nikolai Weibull <now bitwi se> wrote:

On 1/6/07, Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> wrote:

On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 04:44 -0800, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

FWIW, 'konqueror' WEB browser doesn't appear to leak, while gtk+-based
Mozilla, Firfox, Seamonkey leak a lot, and I'm not sure whether it's
'Gecko' or gtk+ issue.

The memory usage of Gecko, whether leaks or just using lots of memory,
has basically zero to do with GTK+.

And probably has very little to do with memory leaks:

  http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/009749.html

It really is a problem that people don't understand caching.

  nikolai

Well, at the top of the page pointed to by the URL"

"All versions of Firefox no doubt leak memory".

About caching - I leave my browser for the night, i.e. I do not
visit new pages, so whatever the caching was, it should remain the
same, still, Seamonkey/Mozilla/Firefox consume more memory then when
I left it.

What does caching have to do with this ?

Anyway, the URL says:

"No more than 8 pages are ever cached in this fashion, by default",

and I'm using the default, which means that after 8 pages have been cached,
there will be no more chached, that it, old pages will be thrown away from
cache if more than 8 pages have been vivsited, so memory usage shouldn't
be increasing after caching 8 pages.

As I wrote, memory usage is all the time increasing, even if I do not
visit new pages at all.

What else to understand ?

--Sergei.

Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/