Re: GTK+ 2.10.7 released

--- Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:

On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 00:24 -0800, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

[really impressive list of bugs deleted].

As an end gtk+ user I just want to know which of the two
gtk+2.8.20 <-> 2.10.7 is less buggy.

Indeed 2.10.7.  The impressive list of bugs you saw has only been fixed
in 2.10.7.  Another set fixed in 2.10.6.  Same for 2.10.5, ...  None of
them fixed in 2.8.x.

This idea of thinking about newer series as buggier versions is
fundamentally bogus.  The way you should be thinking about 2.10 is 2.8
plus some new functionality plus lots of bug fixes.  It typically is the
case that if you don't use the new functionality, it's just added value,
not many bugs introduced, etc.  Gtk+ 2.6 vs 2.6 was of course different,
because of moving to cairo.

And which of them has less memory leaks.

Is Gtk+ known for being leaky?  2.10 has more fixes than 2.8, so for the
same usage, it should be 2.10 that doesn't have more memory leaks.

Thanks,
  Sergei.

My 0.02 CAD
--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

This all is beginning to sound "interesting".

My memory, of course, is not getting better as years go by, but it still
remembers some peculiar things.

OK, on the official gtk site one can read:

http://www.gtk.org/faq/#AEN703 :

"
5.28. Why does GTK+/GLib leak memory?

It doesn't.
".

I read this in the times of, I think, gtk+-2.8.18, and it is still there.

So are there or there are no memory leaks in gtk+-2.8.20 ?

Did gtk+2.10.* introduce more or less memory leaks ?

If one reads on http://www.gtk.org about absence of memory leaks, should
he/she consider this to be cheap propaganda at best ?

Or the above claim should be reformulated as:

* for gtk+2.8.20 there are no known to developers occurences of memory leaks;
* gtk+2.10.* is effectively a developmnet release, so expect memory leaks and stay
away from it for production code.

I am asking these particular questions because of the

 387170 Fairly large leak in gtk+
 360350 leak in gtk_radio_button_focus
 362439 gtkicontheme::pixbuf_supports_svg leaks GList
 364514 gtk leaks GDI objects on the win32 classic look and feel
 364868 GDI resource leak in GtkStatusIcon on win32
 370395 leak in gtk_rc_parse_icon_source
 382314 gtkpagesetup leaks when setting new paper size
 389194 mem leaks in gtkpagesetupunixdialog
 348108 Refleaks in gtk-demo

bugs mentioned in the original announcement of gtk+2.10.7.

FWIW, 'konqueror' WEB browser doesn't appear to leak, while gtk+-based
Mozilla, Firfox, Seamonkey leak a lot, and I'm not sure whether it's
'Gecko' or gtk+ issue.

Regards,
  Sergei.

Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/