RE: combobox internal padding

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Pogonyshev [mailto:pogonyshev gmx net]
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 9:31 AM
To: Medora Schauer
Cc: gtk-app-devel-list gnome org
Subject: Re: combobox internal padding

Medora Schauer wrote:
There seems to be more "dead space" above the text than below it. In
fact it looks like there may only be 2 pixels below but more than 2
above. I wonder if controlling the y alignment of the text might
help?
The combobox properties list doesn't include a y-alignment setting
but I
think I'll keep looking for a way to set it.

I assume that text drawing (combo box uses GtkCellView AFAIK, which
uses
cell renderers in turn, which use Pango) requests height for full line
of
text, including interline spacing.  Or maybe not.  In any case, I
think
this padding is the result of font metrics and is impossible to chunk
out
without some really major, far-stretching and ugly hacks.

Paul

That is very disappointing.  It means the resulting combobox is about
25% bigger (in height) than it needs to be. Besides taking up a lot of
real estate, it is aesthetically unpleasing.

Oh, well, it's an imperfect world...

Thanks again for your help.

Medora