dynamic menus

Hello,

I have two questions about menus in gtk. I've created the menus via an xml description and the gtk UI manager.

Question #1

- is it possible to keep certain menuitems in the xml and the associated GtkActionEntry but toggle if they are visible or not? Something like gtk_widget_hide() and gtk_widget_show()? Or do I have to basically tear down the menus, regen the xml and create the menus again?

Question #2

- What does it take to change the text in some menus that already exist? Do I have to do
  gtk_ui_manager_remove_action_group()

then create a new action group, insert to the ui manager and call gtk_action_group_add_actions?

Or is there a simpler way?

Thanks
-Dan